Friday, July 11, 2008

Night of Yay!

Well, when I said that I would try to write something soon, I didn't actually mean less than 24 hours, but what do you know, I had a wonderful last hour. It is currently 3:58 in the morning, and I just got home from work. Although work wasn't the best ever, I discovered that tomorrw (actually today already) is slurpee day and 7/11 is giving away free ones, so me and Nashly and Vij decided to stop in for a slurpee on our way home. Well, my highly honed sweet talking skills came in handy, since apparently the giveaway isn't supposed to start till 7 am, which is a whopping 3 hours away, and the guy we talked to said he wasn't allowed to let us but we could talk to the the guy behind the counter, so I explained to the guy behind the counter (whose name was Horatio, and now looking back I really should have tried calling him "H" just for CSI Miami times sake) that we work the night shift and we wouldn't come back the next day for another slurpee if he would just let us have one now pretty please. And he let us. And I had a coffee flavored slurpee which, looking back, it is almost surprising that it tasted good.

Before you go telling me that my last hour of excitement was infinitely better than your last hour of boring sleep, let me tell you what else happened. That's right, there's more. Well, it was raining when we left work, and there was pretty regular and impressive lightning, which is already enough to make me in a good and smiley mood. But then the most amazing thing happened. We were on the cloverleaf at the perimeter and Pembina, and this prolonged and very bright flash of lightning flashed (what verb should I have used here? This sounds a little redundant) and it was so bright that it tricked the street lights that it was day time, and they all went out (or at least got very dim) for a few seconds before realizing that God tricked them and it was actually still night and then turned themselves back on. Then I realized that conveniently my Sheree Plett cd was in the player at that very moment, so I switched over to the track with the line,

"It's silent, just the crickets and my breathing
And the God above is practicing his flash photography"

I officially love night shift.

No comments: